You might be wondering what’s all the hype about Pokémon GO and probably have seen lots of screencaps shared online. Pokémon GO is an Augmented Reality (AR) game created by Niantic and Nintendo for iOS and Android devices, to capture Pokémon! Currently, it’s released in some countries such as US, AUS, NZ and more to come. There was an APK for android, however as of yesterday it’s locked by Niantic so there’s no point. Just chill, and wait for official release in Malaysia.
‘Pokémon Go’ Beginner’s Guide: Catching, Battling And Everything You Need To Know
- Upon starting, you can opt to sign up using your Google Account.
- Customise your trainer and pick a username wisely. Currently you are not able to change your trainer outfit or teams.
- You’ll catch your first Pokémon during a training session and the real adventure begins with the interface showing your trainer walking on a Google Maps layout using your smartphone GPS location.
- Catch a Pokémon when you see one, it will appear on the map just swipe a Poké Ball in their direction to catch it.
- Take note of PokeStops and Gyms on the map. You’ll be able to access once you are close to it.
Here’s a tip, these places such as malls, parks and any statues will have a high chance of Pokémon, PokeStops and Gyms. There’s more, but these are just the basics, read more here.
Here’s the important part, there are 3 teams
Pick wisely, teams will be made available when you reach Level 5 and you can access them at Gyms. I’m still deciding between Team VALOR (Red) and Team INSTINCT (Yellow). Looks like, many are rooting for Yellow.
In the mean time, if you are interested in AR games, do try out Ingress it’s created by Niantic formerly owned by Google. Most of the agents are eager to hop into Pokémon GO and with Ingress you’ll have a good head start among others, as Pokémon GO uses the same map as Ingress. For Ingress, it’s not just a game and you’ll have special mission to accomplish, there’s two teams known as Enlighten and Resistance. I’m a Resistance and you may drop me a comment or private message, we have a community to guide new agents like yourself.
Before I sign off, please be aware of your surrounding! Enjoy thePokémon GO and Catch ‘Em All!